This is a featured upload!
It showcases the best talent and creativity available on MTS and in the community.
- 2015-01-11 / pbox: Moved the 1.13 version to this post (it was in the comments previously) and updated with Spanish localisation. Thanks gato_24! This version ought to work fine for 1.14 as well.
- 2015-12-22 / pbox: Update for 1.13 -- this updates the inventory enums XML (S4_03B33DDF_00000000_40441721EB0ACFAC) to the current state and also adds in some custom inventories:
- Now includes the storage chest fom some patch ago
- Also includes all of the custom inventories from this mod (Painting Canvas Storage Rack; inventory 98 is in use for the rack and 85 .. 97 are various other inventories being reserved for other purposes)
- Since someone reported fish decay being broken again, I also made an edit that sets the fish decay in sim inventories to 0.2 (i.e. it includes the functionality from Fish Freshness Fix, in case that would be useful again for the current game). I donít currently have fisher sims so I didnít test whether this was actually necessary, but it wonít hurt.
- July 24 - Bugfix for players with Spa Day to fix a bug with the Spa Day aquarium objects.
- July 20 - Sim's can now use a crate when visiting another lot.
- Sim's can still only pack items owned by their household.
- Unpacked items will persist on lots, but will continue to be owned by the sim's household. So if you leave something on a lot you can return later to pack it back up.
- After unpacking an item, the crate's inventory will now automatically reopen.
- July 18 - Updated mod for better compatibility if player does not have Get To Work. Many items which previously could not be packed should work.
- June 28 - The "Pack in Crate" menu option can now be turned on and off (defaults to off)
- To enable packing, click on any packing crate and choose "Enable Packing".
- The menu will turn on for only that sim, but can be turned on for multiple sims (not sure why you'd want to, but you can!)
- The trait that controls the menu is "non-persistent" so it will revert to off when reloading.
- Added Chinese translation (June 25), thanks egureh!
- New Crate (June 21)
- Added a new crate, provided by Plasticbox. Thanks!
- Added Russian and German translations, thanks to KuriXarya and Plasticbox!
- Bug Fix (June 20)
- Crates now have a user-customizeable name which will appear when the cursor is hovered over a crate
- If the XML package was not installed, or was in a subfolder, the script would cause errors resulting in a crash back to the world select. The crash bug has been fixed - but it is still important that both the package and script files be in the same folder for crates to work properly.
For those looking for a simple way to transfer just cash when splitting a household, check out Plasticbox's Stacks of Cash
custom objects. This also has the advantage of no script modding required, which I know some like to avoid!
So one afternoon about three weeks ago, a sim of mine that had grown up to a young-adult wanted to swipe some of his parent's neat household items when he moved out. He asked me if it was possible to move them from one house to another. "No!" I replied, "It simply can't be done!" But he had an interesting idea, "What if you made a box that was big enough to hold a piano, but small enough I could fit in my pocket?"
"Ridiculous!" I said. "Impossible!" I snorted.
He just grinned, "You made lockable doors, most people said that was impossible...."
That sounded like a challenge to me... and I love a good challenge.
After three weeks of work, many failed attempts and dead-ends, and a serious quantity of coffee, I'm ready to unveil Packing Crates for The Sims 4.
This mod adds a "Pack in Crate" menu item to every item in the game (with a few exceptions) that cannot be normally placed in an inventory. Selecting this menu choice will search the lot for a free packing crate and move that item into the crate's inventory. If no packing crate can be located on the lot, the action will be cancelled.
Crates can be purchased from Storage/Miscellaneous in build-buy for 150 simoleons. The crate was cloned from the crate end-table in the game and will also still serve as an end-table if you want.
After packing objects into a crate, the crate itself can be placed into a sim's inventory and carried with them to a new home. Crates can also be left around the lot for use as storage (or end-tables).
To unpack a crate, place it into the world and open it's inventory. Clicking on an item in the crate inventory will result in a "Place in World" menu choice. The object will be placed near the crate (it will always appear on the first floor). If the game cannot find a place for the object (for instance, paintings and other wall-art will not place automatically) then the object will be placed into the household inventory. Notifications will appear if there are any problems.
The menu choices and the ability to store objects in the crates are added dynamically by the script portion of the mod, so this is compatible with custom content objects, and all expansion packs (even new unreleased ones).
- It should be noted that if you remove the mod, any items that are stored in crates will disappear
along with the crates themselves! You may want to make sure you unpack all crates on all lots prior to removing the mod.
*MINOR* Bug Notice
There is one bug that I have been unable to figure out, but it's not a game changer. The code has been written to take great care with your objects and not lose them in a move.
When a crate is placed in the sim's inventory, and then the sim moves to another lot or the game is saved/reloaded with that crate in their inventory, when opening the crate it will show all the objects in it as being a stack of two. This is an interface glitch only, there is only one copy of the object in the crate and it will unpack normally. However, after unpacking one copy of the object will appear to still be in the crate's inventory. It's not really there! If you click on the crate version of the object, the menu will appear as if you clicked the actual object, which is confusing but I can live with it. The remaining ghost object will go away the next time the game is saved and reloaded.
Ghost items that have not yet been unpacked will also straighten themselves out if the crate is placed back on the lot and the game saved/reloaded.
Weird... but it doesn't really hurt anything. I'm not sure if the problem is fixable without changing the game's user interface code which is not very accessible.
Installation Instructions and Compatibility
This mod was written and tested on Windows for The Sims 4 version 188.8.131.520 (July 9, 2015). The ts4script file in the mod is not compatible with earlier versions of the game.
This mod uses the new ts4script file format for the script portion of the mod and cannot be installed automatically with a mod manager (until a mod manager is updated to support these files). To install the mod manually, extract both the package and ts4script files from the download into your mods folder.
Script mods must be enabled in your game options for this mod to work properly.
Nobody's bought me a Mac yet, so until I hear from someone who tries it out, I can only assume it will work on a Mac. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work.
This modfies one XML resource in the game, S4_03B33DDF_00000000_40441721EB0ACFAC, which only contains inventory enums and is unlikely to be used by any other mods. This was necessary to provide the new inventory type required by the mod.
The mod modifies one of the game scripts in ways that may not be compatible with other mods, but that would be their fault, not mine!
- Kuree and all the others at Sims4Group who have put together the S4PE tool
- Sims 4 Studio group for The Sims 4 Studio to clone and retexture the crate
- Deaderpool for figuring out how to modify tuning at game load
- Special thanks to egwarhammer for encouraging me to rethink how I was approaching the packing crate issue
- Translations kindly provided by:
- KuriXarya - Russian
- Plasticbox - German
- egureh - Chinese
- gato_24 - Spanish
- Additional crate provided by Plasticbox - made using blender, Milkshape, TSRW and s4pe